Paraquat dichloride, most generally referred to as Paraquat, is one of the most widely used herbicides in the United States. Several Paraquat lawsuits have been issued regarding the use and sale of Paraquat due to paraquat exposure being commonly flagged to authorities.
In the United States, only certified users can use Paraquat and in limited quantities. Due to paraquat exposure being repeatedly flagged, it has been sold safety additives like the pungent smell, dark color, and agent that provokes you to puke if consumed. Any paraquat brought from outside the US might not have these safety additives.
Table of Contents
How could you get exposed to Paraquat?
Paraquat is a highly toxic substance that is used for the elimination of herbicides. It being highly toxic, the United States government has added implications on its use. Paraquat available in the US comes along with some additional safety measures that we have mentioned earlier. Here is how you can get exposed to Paraquat:
Ingestion of it:
If you were in a rush and anticipated the coffee container with Paraquat, or you were unaware of the liquid present at your house, and you drank it. In this way, you can get directly exposed to Paraquat and its poisoning.
Paraquat is a suitable solvent and is easily mixed with other food substances and beverages. This is possible when someone uses the Paraquat, which does not have a safety additive that responds quickly when getting inside your body. You might be unaware that the food or beverage is adulterated and might consume it.
Paraquat poisoning is also possible when it gets in contact with your skin. This can only occur when your skin is exposed to Paraquat for a prolonged time, and the paraquat concentration is also high. This can lead to skin poisoning through Paraquat and result in skin problems.
Paraquat, if inhaled, can be severely dangerous for your delicate lungs. There have been certain instances reported that some marijuana in the US found high traces of Paraquat.
Symptoms of Paraquat Exposure.
When an individual sallows paraquat, the initial symptoms the person might face are swelling of the face and throat, followed by digestive tract problems such as nausea, pain in the abdomen, and frequent blood vomits. This may then lead to dehydration and a burning sensation in the mouth and throat.
Consuming a small amount of Paraquat may lead to having health problems that can be fatal for you in the long term like:
- Myocardial Infraction.
- Kidney failure.
- Liver disintegration
- Lung cancer.
It will be highly recommended that if you know that you have consumed Paraquat or any substance that was not food, you must rush to the hospital as soon as possible to be on the safe side. As it is always said, ‘Better safe than sorry.’