Last Updated on November 10, 2023 by Hina Rubab
Getting ready for the competitive exams is always a hectic time. Whether you are preparing for the class 6 olympiad or any other competition, you need to make sure that you avoid certain mistakes. You should also be aware of your strengths and weaknesses so that you can prepare better for the exam. The level of competition in class 6 is very high. The competition has never been so tough. Every child has to do their best to get a good rank in the Olympiad exam. Here are some common mistakes which many parents make while preparing for the exam.
The Olympiad is an intense competition, and your performance can make or break your career. It holds the power to make you feel amazing about yourself or beat yourself down with feelings of inadequacy.
Table of Contents
A little bit about the examination:
The CBSE class IX Olympiad will have two papers. Paper 1 will have 60 questions and paper 2 will have 40 questions. The question types will be multiple choice questions, fill-in-the-blanks, matching, true or false statements, short answer type questions, and passage-based comprehension.
The topics will be Science, Social Sciences and English. There will be a total of three sections – A, B, and C. The candidate has to answer all questions in a section. The weightage of each section is as follows:
The candidate will have to attempt a maximum of 60 questions from the first paper out of which 40% of questions would be from science, 40% from social sciences, and 20% from English. Out of the remaining 20% of the questions in the first paper, 4-5 questions would belong answer type requiring detailed answers. These answers could also require calculations. The other 4-5 questions would be multiple-choice questions.
Paper 2 will have a similar weightage as a paper one. The first 25-30 questions will be from science and the remaining 25-30 questions from social sciences and English.
Here, are some common mistakes to avoid while preparing for the class 6 olympiad.
• Avoid repeating the same preparation for the class 5 olympiad. You should start with preparing for questions that are most likely to come, instead of just looking at topics you are good at.
• Always stay updated with syllabus changes and be aware of new topics introduced in class 6 olympiad.
• Don’t ignore the math section, which is being termed as difficult in the Class 6 Olympiad this year. Make sure you have a good grip on all the concepts before attempting calculations during exams.
• In case, you are preparing for both the math and science section in one go, make sure to apply concepts from physics to chemistry, and vice versa.
• Practice a lot of questions in your free time. Focus on the time factor in exams. Many questions can be solved in less than a minute if done correctly in the previous stage itself. You can refer to previous years question papers like IMO Class 6 2012 Question Paper.
• During the last few days before exams, take a day off or two, and then complete all syllabus from one topic at a time without skipping any topics. This will help you finish all the syllabus perfectly before you appear for papers on 11th March 2014.
• Avoid doing any calculations for the class 6 olympiad when you are extremely tired. If you are not good at physics or chemistry, then try to avoid it in the next stage
• Time management is important, especially when preparing for exams. You devote more time to studying the topics that are easy to solve, but some questions might come up in the earlier part of the exam which can be solved if you’re focused enough.
• To get a good grip on the math section, do practice drills instead of preparing drills for the final exam once again. You can find many online resources for solving math drills online after your preparation simply increases your confidence level further.
• Just remember, do not hesitate to ask the school teacher or the school faculty if you are not clear about some topic. Do some research on topics that are very little or have no reference book on them.
• Don’t leave anything for the last minute because there can be a huge difference in your score for each subject between your actual knowledge and your mindset.
• If you’re good at one subject, then don’t ignore it completely by attempting questions from other subjects. This increases the chances of making silly mistakes in your calculations and might even cost you marks.
• Always take the help of your school teacher for any doubts related to your preparation. Practice worksheets available on the internet if you are not getting enough time to solve your syllabus that includes the whole syllabus.
• Don’t go on impromptu holidays or get into parties before the exams, This will only affect your mental peace and might even leave you drained of energy when it is time for you to appear for the exam.
• For class 6 Olympiad preparation, make sure you clear all basics in different subjects like algebra, geometry, or any other topics. Always check up if you are performing well in tests and mock papers.
• There are chances for you to watch the class 6 olympiad video lectures with your school teacher or any certified guide.
Study hard for your class 6th olympiad. It’s a tough exam and you have to give your 100% to ace it. Avoid doing anything which can lead to stress. Stress hormones affect concentration and make it difficult for you to learn new things, suppress feelings of pain and protect the body from disease. So, try not to overwork yourself while studying and don’t study in a place with too much noise or too many interruptions. You should also avoid those things which consume a lot of time. Instead, make time for yourself to relax during the day. Buy yourself some gifts and spend some quality time with your family. Synchronize your study pace with the exam dates as much as possible to ensure a higher success rate. Keep a cleanliness routine for yourself. Try not to bring unnecessary stuff during your exam days as it can interrupt your concentration and focus. Avoid bringing too many books and other study material as it will disturb you while reading because of the load on your eyes and nerves. Study hard and all the best for your preparations.