The age-old debate is whether competitive exams are tough or easy? Well, competitive exams might be a tough nut to crack, but surely not an impossible one. Often aspirants pick up information on competitive exams from their peers. The information might be coming from someone who failed multiple attempts, or from someone who cleared it in the first place. None of this defines your ability to crack the examination. Hard work and persistence can help one reach unmountable heights.
What are Competitive Exams?
It is an examination wherein the candidates are ranked based on their grades. As the name indicates, it can be very competitive in nature. Competitive exams can be held for students as entrance exams for admissions into Institutions/Universities or for job aspirants to secure Public sector jobs. The number of aspirants appearing for competitive exams are relatively high with every passing year. As the numbers increase, so does the competition. But, the question whether competitive exams are hard or easy to crack remains unanswered. The answer to this question is ambiguous. It can be interpreted as easy from one’s perspective, and tough from the others.
Bust the Myths
Competitive exams are surrounded by innumerable myths that deter aspirants from attempting them. If one believes it blindly and upholds it for long, then there is no room for progress. Looking beyond these myths will help you focus better in your preparation.
● The myth that competitive exams are tough and impossible to crack is age old. Cracking competitive exams is like “rocket science” is the greatest myth. This dissuades aspirants to back out even before completely understanding about the examination. Competitive exams require a little extra effort and hard work than the rest. The reason competitive exams are set hard, is to make sure the most deserving and eligible ones secure the place.
● Another myth that discourages aspirants is that only toppers with smart brains can crack the examination. This notion is purely and completely false. Firstly, the aspirants need to get their facts checked prior to attempting the examination. Often we are prone to follow in the topper’s path. But you should remember that two people are never the same. Taking advice and suggestions is a good idea, but maintaining your individuality is important in order to achieve success.
● With the increase in competition for competitive exams, coaching classes witnessed a boom. Coaching classes can assist you with your preparations, but without self study everything will seem impossible. Incorporate the teachings of coaching classes with your own study and research materials. Coaching classes work out for most, but not necessarily for everyone. There are aspirants who have cleared the exams without prior coaching.
Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy
If everything in life would be easily accessible, then there would be no competition in the world. Competitive exams are designed to be tough so that only the most deserving and eligible ones can crack it. There are no shortcuts to success. It takes hard work and persistence to stay true to the goal.
● In your preparation for cracking competitive exams make sure to leave no stone unturned. Intelligence alone can not help you to reach your goal. Aspirants need to balance intelligence and hard work well. If you wish to be the best, then you should be willing to give it your all. Dedicate yourself solely to your preparation. Avoid any kind of distractions during study time.
● Working hard without investing yourself completely in the task will yield no results. It is crucial that one prepares for the examinations with utmost interest. If you are attempting the exam under family or peer pressure, then giving your best is not possible under such circumstances. Interest develops only when you do the things that you love. Often, aspirants who attempt competitive exams under societal pressure will lose focus as that is not what they wanted to do in the first place.
● Make sure to educate yourself about the prerequisites of the examination before attempting it. Know your current syllabus and make a study of the previous syllabus. Research and collect study material in PDF, books, videos, audio lectures or any available form. Attempt to get an idea of the exam format and train your mind accordingly for the mains. These are the bare minimum one can do to crack competitive exams.
Do not be disheartened and give up if you could not clear the exam in the first attempt. There are many success stories of aspirants clearing the examination after several attempts. The world is fighting its war with the pandemic, and this might hinder your chances of attending physical classes for exam preparation. But there are various platforms like Entri that assist you with online classes. In the end, the answer to the question ‘Is cracking a competitive exam that tough’ is yours to answer. Competitive exams can be tough, but they are tougher.