Clean drinking water is vital to the survival of all living species. If in any situation you can not find clean water to drink, knowing some ways to clean the available water manually without a water filter or purifier can be very useful to you. This article will briefly inform you about some of the best ways to purify water at home.
Home of the Vortex Water Revitalizer. Vortex technology is at its best. For more information, click here.
Table of Contents
This is probably the simplest method to purify water. Boiling can purify water up to a satisfactory level. The method is to heat water in a container over a stove or burner. Bring the water to a boil. Then let it keep boiling for 5-10 minutes. The heat will kill most of the bacteria, viruses, and parasites in the water.
Do you need a best Water Cooler?
If you don’t have a flameproof container, heat some rocks for 20-30 minutes. Then put these rocks into your container of water to boil the water.
Distilled water is clean of most impurities. You can get distilled water by building a solar still. It can be small or big. To make a small solar still, you need a large bowl/container containing water. In its center, place a small container (e.g. a cup or bowl).
Cover the bigger container with a clear/transparent plastic sheet. Place some small weight (e.g. a rock) in the center of the sheet to make it inclined towards the small container. Place this apparatus in sunlight and wait for 2-3 hours. The water will evaporate and then condense into the small container. You can drink this water.
Read More: facts about bottled water
Make your own water filters
- Pine trees; Remove a small branch of a pine tree. Strip the bark off the stick and put the bare stick into a container. Slowly pour water onto the stick, letting it trickle down the stick into the container bottom. The sap of the stick will trap the pathogens in the water.
- Cilantro; Put some Cilantro leaves into the water container and let them sit there at least for one hour. The leaves are effective at removing heavy metals (like lead and nickel) from water. Discard the leaves before drinking the water.
- Clay or ceramic pot; Place your clay/ceramic pot over a jug, bowl, or bucket that has a similarly sized opening. Pour water into the pot and let it trickle down into the container below. This will purify your water as clay and ceramic are effective at trapping bacteria, protozoa, and sediment from water draining through them.
Treating water through chemicals
- Chlorine dioxide or Idonine tablets; Pour water into a container and add one tablet per liter of water into it. These tablets usually take 30 minutes – 4 hours to work. They will kill most of the bacteria and viruses in the water.
But they don’t treat protozoa or chemically contaminated water. They should not be used for pregnant women or people having shellfish allergies.
- Bleach; Add 4 drops of bleach in a liter of water after ensuring that the bleach is not expired. Then shake the mixture and let it sit for 30 minutes. You must be cautious and use only a small amount of bleach to avoid poisoning.
These are some ways of making water safe for drinking without a water purifier. You can use multiple ways for the same water to achieve a better level of purification.