What is the current status of MMORPG? In 2021, many MMORPG fans are eager for new great success. But in recent years, especially since 2016, there have been disappointments.
With Black Desert, the last MMORPG was released in 2016, so that it can firmly establish itself and build a larger fan base. Other promising titles are in niche markets or have been discontinued:
- Bless Online was released in 2018. Although it shined, it was discontinued in 2019.
- MapleStory 2 was released in 2018 and should be based on the success of the first part. It will be discontinued in 2020.
- The legendary promise of Aria will become the new Genesis, and will begin in the Early Access on Steam in the summer of 2019. However, in early 2021, MMORPG will be discontinued sooner or later.
- Astellia was released in 2019, hoping to attract fans of the classic MMORPG. The game does not have any major scandals, but it will still run in 2021, but the success can be controlled.
Since then, the only new MMORPG that can build one’s own is World of Warcraft.
The demand for new games is still great. Whenever we write a potential new MMORPG on EZNPC, it attracts attention and discussion
What is the current hot game? Especially between 2006 and 2012, many MMORPGs tried to emulate the principles of World of Warcraft, but failed mercilessly.
Between 2012 and 2016, several games were released. These games broke through the tried-and-tested concept of World of Warcraft and were therefore successful:
- The target audience of ESO is mainly story fans and solo players. They only want to interact with other players on the edge through ESO Gold transactions.
- Black Desert is increasingly dependent on sandbox fans and PvP
- Guild Wars 2 is trying to abandon the item spiral and a more casual idea
- Path of Exile removes the concept of gold coins as the main currency in general games, and uses ORBS items acquired by players as POE currency for transactions.
But none of them managed to overthrow World of Warcraft from the throne. Often, there are still too many similarities between them and the title or their own problems encountered by the masses.
What independent MMORPGs are currently being developed?
Crowd-MMORPG with strategic elements and focused on PvP
Valheim: Ancient PvE MMORPG
Camelot Unchained: a pure PvP game based on Camelot’s Dark Ages
Ashes of Creation: a sandbox MMORPG that relies on PvP and large communities
What they have in common is that they have been developed for many years and are often stuck in pre-alpha or alpha. Crowfall is particularly obvious, the version announced will be released in 2018, 2019 and 2020 respectively. This version is also planned to be released in 2021.
Last hope for Amazon?
In addition to the independent title, what else is there? In addition to independent MMORPGs, there are currently two games that have attracted the most attention:
- New World, a new MMORPG from Amazon
- South Korean developer Smilegate’s Lost Ark will be brought to the West by Amazon.
Both of these titles should appear in 2021 and may bring fresh air to the market.
The main feature of New World is to have its own battle system and castle battle, while Lost Ark should combine the ISO perspective of Diablo 3 with the depth of MMORPG.
MMORPG for LoL: In addition to Amazon, the developer Riot Games (LoL, Valorant) now also proposes a new MMORPG.
But, so far, I only know that it should be played in the same universe as League of Legends. Recently, the game is looking for new employees. Just because of the considerable fan base, the game has great potential.
What do you think of the above games and the status quo of MMORPG in 2021? In any case, what must the new MMORPG popular game have to offer you?