Last Updated on February 23, 2023 by Umer Malik
Drives are the most popular activity to undertake when people own cars. Long drives do sound like fun–good company, great music, food to munch on, and the wind ruffling your hair. Truthfully, car rides encapsulate much more than that. Apart from the romanticized ever-glow, it involves a lot of sitting, cramping, and fatigue.
Which car one picks for a drive also influences the comfort and ease of the trip. Visit here to view a catalog of top-selling cars best suited for drive-bys, drive-ins, and long drives–whatever you need! There are several other decisional changes and inclusions that one can make to improve the comfort of their trip.
With cars in Tamil Nadu offering top mileage of 30 km, it is safe to say that we have a plethora of places to visit. But a few of the major hiccups in a drive are posture, muscle catches and sleeping. The market has realized this. Now we have travel pillows! These are a diverse class of pillows meant only for travel and can alleviate many of the discomforts sitting in a car for too long might cause!
What are travel pillows?
- U shape pillows: These are the most common and popular choices when it comes to travel pillows. The ergonomics of the U-shaped pillow is such that it cradles the head and neck perfectly while sitting in a long drive or trying to fall asleep. These pillows come in memory foam that is soft to touch and is used to support infants’ heads. They also come in fiber which is much more sturdy and can comfortably support adults.
- Wrap Around pillows: This pillow gives 360 support to the neck. It supports the back and the front of the neck by gently wrapping around it. It is made of soft fiber; it will not become too hot or cold quickly. One can adjust the tightness of the wrap, the wrap position to suit their posture while sleeping. This additionally improves posture and reduces neck pain.
- Travel neck pillow: These are very similar in make and shape to U shape pillows. However, these are designed for remote or long-distance travel. These pillows are inflatable on the go and can be packed conveniently. These are not just used for traveling, but they are also used to sleep on, like a pillow.
- Therapeutic Travel Pillows: These are square-shaped pillows that come in three different ergonomic sizes based on head shape and size. They are similar in function to the heavier pillows but are far lighter and easier to pack.
- Car Neck pillow: These pillows are made specifically for car travel. Made of high-density MM foam, these pillows are attached to the auto headrests of the seat to make it cushiony to rest one’s head.
What are the benefits of travel pillows?
Travel pillows offer several benefits to car travel. It is important to be careful while choosing travel pillows concerning your car model. Visit here to source a list of cars that can give you an idea of its interiors.
Few benefits of travel pillows are:
- Prevents stiff neck: While sitting and sleeping for a long time during car travels, our neck and shoulders are prone to getting stiff. One might also feel fatigued due to the inconvenient way of sleeping. It is also difficult to toss and turn in a car. The tilts in the neck position are supported by the travel pillows.
- Mimics home pillow: It can be frustrating for many who cannot sleep without their bed and pillow to go on a long trip. The advantage of the travel pillows is that they are mostly made of memory foam, which is the same material that home-used pillows are made of.
- Prevents poor posture: While sleeping in cars, one has very poor stability against motion transfer due to the moving car. This can cause poor positioning of one’s head, neck, and jaw which might become stiff and cause great discomfort. A travel pillow not only combats this but also improves the spinal alignment due to the upright posture they enforce.
- Reduce Sleep Apnea: Since a travel pillow enforces erect posture, it means that the airways are less prone to getting blocked. This prevents the risk of sleep apnea and helps reduce snoring.
Easy to maintain: Travel pillows come in all sizes and shapes. They are inflatable for compact packing. They are durable and affordable. Most travel pillows are also washable so there is no worry of germs or dirt.