This surgical procedure aims to fix or treat nasal blockage that helps to improve breathing and airflow.The cartilage that splits the nose into two separate chambers of nostrils is called the septum; in adults, it is about 7 centimeters long.
This surgery improves and corrects the deformation of the nasal septum. The deviated septum can also be straightened by this surgery. If the septum is tilted to one said, then it is called a deviated septum, which can block both or one nostrils of the nose. This blockage affects the flow of air and breathing. Any accidental injury can cause a deviated septum.
Furthermore, it can grow naturally and by birth as well. The difficulty in breathing by the nose and forceful breathing by mouth is an indicator of a deviated septum.
You are a candidate for this surgical procedure if the deviated septum is diagnosed after performing an examination by nasal endoscopy.
Guidelines and procedure
To ensure the successful completion of your surgery, you have to visit an experienced, qualified, and registered surgeon. Tell him about your medical history and goals. Also, discuss the possible risks and the medicines you are currently taking. Tell him about your condition and what you are expecting from surgery as a result.
As far as procedure concerns, the patient will be under the influence of local or general anesthesia. The target area of this surgery is the inside nose. The doctor will reshape the nose after cutting one side of the nose wall. Usually, he removes or lifts a thin membrane known as mucosa. The septum is covered and protected by the mucosa.
This removal or lifting of the mucosa will help the doctor to alter the shape of the cartilage and bone. After it, the doctor will reposition and reshape the bone or cartilage, and mucosa is again placed in its position to cover the septum. Then soft packing is used to keep the nasal tissues in place. There is no breakage or grinding involved in this procedure, and this surgical procedure takes 30 to 90 minutes.
This surgery offers many advantages due to its high success ratio. Here is a list of some benefits that you will get after this surgical procedure.
- Your breathing pattern and flow of air improve.
- Due to the opening of nasal passages, one feels no more difficulty in inhaling or exhaling.
- The opening of nasal passages reduces the complain of frequent bleeding.
- It improves the overall quality of sleep, as well.
- Your sense of smell and sense of taste also improve.
- Due to the opening of airways, the mucus can normally drain hence cause no infection.
Risks and complications
Due to its high ratio of success, the rate of risks is very low. But still, here is a list of some associated risks.
- Sometimes there is a risk of excessive bleeding during surgery.
- Infection is also another risk if you will not take care ofit properly.
- Numbness and swelling can long laster than a day.
- The patient may feel irritation inside the nose.
- In rare cases, if the surgery won’t end up with successful results, then maybe there is a need for revision of surgery.
Try to cut off some intense physical activities to reduce the risk of more complications. Don’t rub your nose andfollow the instructions, and take medication properly to speed the process of recovery.If you are a smoker and plan to have a septoplasty, try to avoid smoking from the start of the surgery till recovery. And if you feel any unusual symptoms visit the doctor instantly. Visit for more details https://www.nazmibaycin.com/