There are millions of packages that are delivered to homes around the world every year. There are often instances when the packages have to be left at the door, or porch unattended since the receiver is not present at his, her residence at the time of delivery.
Since they are left unprotected outside peoples’ homes, a lot of these unclaimed packages are stolen by passersby and strangers, leaving both the buyers and the delivery companies in a fix.
Even a decade back, this crime was not that prevalent. But the drastic increase in online ordering (even more so during the corona virus pandemic) has led to the number of stolen packages shooting up too.
This has become so shockingly common, that there is now even a term that has been coined for these thieves – “Porch Pirates”. It is a predicament no one wants to face, and fortunately, there are some easy techniques to use to avoid it.
Techniques for Avoiding Package Theft
- Always Subscribe for Delivery Updates: All online ordering sites offer their buyers a delivery tracking feature with regular updates. You simply register your contact details, including your phone number, email address, etc. Then, you will be able to get regular updates as to the exact location of the shipment that you ordered. If you have this feature, then you get a proper idea of the time window within which the package will arrive, so that you can be home to accept the package when it comes.
- Surveillance Cameras: Every home security system requires a set of surveillance cameras for the outdoors. Not only does it prevent burglaries, but you can view everything going on around your property at any time. There are wireless CCTV cameras which even come with “night vision” capabilities and can continue recording clear footage even in extreme weather.
- Install Digital Video Recorder: The digital video recorder comes almost like a second requirement for surveillance cameras. The video recorder gives you the option to have large amounts of surveillance footage stored. Digital video recorders nowadays can support all different types of security cameras, to help ensure that your home and your packages are safer and more secure.
- Install Video Doorbell– Video doorbells are all the rage right now, and a lot of home security system(s) come inbuilt with this feature. They come with an inbuilt camera and speaker. With a video doorbell, you can see and talk to the person who is standing outside your door. That way, you do not have to open the door every time someone rings your doorbell, and you have 24/7 real-time monitoring.
- Use Package Lockers: Package lockers or package boxes just what their names suggest– boxes where the delivery executive can securely leave the package. Once you install a package locker outfitted with a lock, “Porch Pirates” cannot steal your package anymore. Just be sure that you pick a box that is structurally strong.
- Install An Electronic Security System – Electronic security systems provide round-the-clock monitoring the entire year. They also provide automatic communication with all the necessary authorities, including, the Police, Ambulances, Fire Department, etc.
Even though package thefts have become painfully common, there are several intelligent and easy ways, as shown above, that you can use to stop yourself from falling prey to this kind of theft. Since it is regarded to be a petty crime, the charges against the thief are nominal. This decreased fear of punishment encourages a lot of people to partake in package theft. So you must be on alert to make sure your parcel reaches you safely. Find out the exact security requirements you have and tackle them beforehand so that you always know that you are safer and more secure.