Asphalt Roofing is a common and inexpensive material made up of asphalt, tar, and organic matter. Asphalt roofing in Philadelphia is typically installed using hot asphalt, which is applied to the surface, then rolled out onto the tiles or slates. While this type of roofing can be an excellent option for homeowners on a budget, there are certain things you should know about it before you decide to put it on your home. Following are five factors we’ve outlined for homeowners considering this roofing material:
Waterproofing and Security
Asphalt roofs are a great choice for various properties, including homes, businesses, and churches. However, like any roofing material, asphalt must be waterproofed and secured to ensure protection from the elements. One of the most common ways to waterproof an asphalt roof is with a coat of sealant. Sealants prevent water from penetrating the surface of the asphalt and start to break down the bonds between the water droplets and the surface of the asphalt. Sealants can be applied in a variety of ways, including using a spray gun, roller, or brush. Once a sealant has been applied to an asphalt roof, it needs to be protected against UV damage. One way to achieve this is by using a sun protection product such as an acrylic coating. Acrylic coatings provide a durable and long-lasting solution that helps deflect UV rays away from the asphalt surface.
Climatic Roofing Conditions
Asphalt is a popular and cost-effective roofing material. It’s a good option for homes that are subject to less extreme weather conditions. There are a few things to consider when choosing this roofing material:
- The climate where your home is located.
- The type of asphalt used.
- The condition of the soil beneath your home.
The climate where your home is located can play a significant role in how an asphalt roof will perform. Asphalt roofs tend to be more durable in climates with a lot of rain or snow, but they can be damaged by wind or ice. In warm temperatures, these roofs may not be as durable because they can heat up and become brittle in the summertime.
Consider the type of roofing material you’ll use. Asphalt is a natural product, so there are variations in quality and color based on where it was mined. Suppose you’re using a synthetic material like polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and select one with a high R-value (a measure of insulation effectiveness). Next, your contractor should check the weight and dimensions of your proposed installation. These roofs can weigh up to 120 pounds per square foot, so make sure your roof structure can support that weight.
Asphalt roofing costs vary depending on the location, type of asphalt, and manufacturer. Luckily, asphalt is fairly low-maintenance and does not require special care or treatment. Obviously, the size of the roof is also a major factor when it comes to final price.
Here are four tips when it comes to asphalt roofing installation:
1. Ensure the area is properly prepared – Before installation begins, ensure the area is properly prepared by removing any vegetation, debris, or water droplets from the surface. This will help prevent any damage during installation.
2. Hire a qualified contractor – While a homeowner may consider installing asphalt roofing, only a qualified contractor should do so if the roof is larger than 12 inches in width or length. The average homeowner cannot follow the many vital safety precautions involved with this type of installation.
3. Pre-lay asphalt shingles – Many homeowners choose to pre-lay asphalt shingles instead of installing them individually. This saves time and money and ensures that the entire roof is covered in a single layer of shingles.
4. Regularly inspect your roof – Asphalt roofs are weather-resistant, but regular inspections are important.
Asphalt roofing is one of the most popular roofing options today. It has many benefits that make it a great choice for many homeowners and businesses. Asphalt is a durable material, which can last a long time without needing replacement. It also offers excellent insulation properties, which can help keep your home or business cooler in the summer months and warmer in the winter months.
If you are looking for siding repair in Philadelphia, contact us at Niva Group to get more details. Our team prides itself on giving our customers high-quality roofing at affordable prices. Give us a call today to get a free estimate!