Table of Contents
What is a Pile Foundation?
The pile foundation means a very deep foundation. Piles are usually made from concrete, timber, and steel. The width is a quarter of pine length. These are structured vertically inside the ground. pile foundation advantages are to have high load capacity. But there is a disadvantage of piles that damages the concrete. As it is an acid so it occurs saltwater reactions.
Use of pile foundation:-
- It is the foundation that transfers load from superstructures.
- As we cannot keep the building vaccinated only because of soil on it, so the foundation of the pile is used.
- Pile foundation has more economic factors than any other proposed.
- When a high groundwater table exists the pile foundation structured.
- Also at the time of digging poor soil, pile foundation is used in the required depth.
Types of pile foundation:-
- Driven and cast-in-situ
- Driven pile foundation = made from concrete + steel + timber
- Cast-in-situ = made from concrete.
- Driven and cast-in-situ = made from concrete, steel, and timber.
How Piles are Used?
As the pile foundation raises a lot of loads, it is carefully made by laborers. A pile can be driven easily in soil or not, the main study has to do by an engineer. Every pile has an effect on the soil around it. There is a group of the pile and it is covered with the help of a pile cap. The pile cap is made very thick. This pile cap is made from concrete which manages a small group of the pile, that works like a base. The entire heavy load is distributed on the column of a cap. The Live Enhanced visit for more construction facts and types will help you to understand the field.
How piles are constructed?
Cast in place piles
- At first pounding on thin wall steel in the ground.
- Then the tube removes all the remaining soil.
- That is why the strength of steel in the tube reduces.
- It needs a wet concrete pile into the tube.
- At first, the piles are made at the ground level, after then it hammers inside the ground.
- With the help of the pile driver, the pile is inserted into the ground.
- This machine keeps piles straight vertically at the ground level.
- With the help of continued blow, the piles are inserted into the ground.
- It is covered with a steel cap.
- This cap precludes it from sprinkling.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Pile Foundation:-
There are some major advantages and disadvantages of pile foundation:-
Advantages of Pile Foundation
- According to the specification of a customer the piles can pre-ordered.
- The pile can be pre-made with its customized size according to site use.
- It reduces the completion time by precasting.
- It should be installed in a very large area.
- 5Piles can be installed in a place where drilling is not done.
- 6The entire process is very neat and clean.
Disadvantages of Pile Foundation –
- Through stones and boulders, a pile can be damaged quickly.
- Sometimes marine borers attack piles in saltwater.
- A pile never be above ground level.
- It is very difficult to know the required length for making a pile.
- When piles are driving which affects the neighboring structures, the vibration generates.
- For driving the piles, heavy equipment is required.
- Sometimes piles cannot contain low drainage.
Different Types of Piles:-
There are only 5 types of piles are as follows:-
- Timber pile
- Concrete piles
- Driven and cast-in-place concrete piles
- Bored and cast-in-place (non-displacement piles)
- Steel piles (rolled steel section).
Benefits of Pile Foundation:-
Some of the benefits of the Pile foundation which listed as follows.
- It is the major advantage of pile foundation that it has to be drilled by some tough surface like hard rocks or something else.
- 2. It is very long-lasting because of the deep installation.
- 3. Anyone can order this with custom designs.
- 4. It is generally for all sizes of land construction, even wetland construction also.
Pile Foundation is mostly used for heavily loaded constructions. After construction, the visual inspection is not possible. So good supervision is needed before and during construction. Many types of research are going on a number of aspects of Pile Foundation.