Right now, in Australia, among many jobs, the demand for carpentry is high. You will be amazed to hear that thousands of international students immigrate to Australia to pursue a career in this profession. Several Australian institutes offer carpentry courses that are gaining popularity among the students because of their ability to produce more skilled and technically sound carpenters worldwide.
The most exciting fact about these carpentry courses is that you can become a highly qualified carpenter in Australia within a short time, as short as six months or one year. Demand for skilled and qualified carpenters is high because of the rise in housing and construction projects in major Australian cities. If you are an international individual, you can even get a graduate work visa after completing your carpentry training or course. Moreover, you can also gain additional work visas in future, if needed.
What are the requirements to apply for a carpentry course in Australia?
You need to meet the following requirements for a successful application to a carpentry course.
- You must have completed your graduation in year 10 in your home country to apply for carpentry or a joinery course.
- English is the working language in Australia. So, you must prove your proficiency in that language. An overall band score of 5.5 in IELTS is required.
- It is better to get yourself prepared well, both mentally, physically and financially, to study the course for one year. You also have to attend 360-hour vocational training or gather work experience to get suitable placement opportunities.
What are the steps should you follow to become a successful carpenter in Australia?
There are many carpentry courses perth available as options. So at the first step, to pursue your career in carpentry, you must be aware of what kind of carpenter you want to become. Here we discuss the common types of carpenters:
- Shopfitter, Fix or Finish Carpenter, Joiner: These carpenters are usually hired to make wooden furniture, windows, door fittings, stairs and parquet floors. If you are building new homes, you can happily call them to beautify your house. They are also called in renovation projects. In addition, these carpenters design, construct and sell furniture.
- Framework Carpenter: As the name suggests, framework carpenters play a crucial role in constructing the frame of a building for residential and also commercial purposes. As you can understand, they are ones on whose engineering, the whole construction will develop. They are the first workers to start their work when a new home project commences.
- Formwork Carpenter: Formwork carpenters are pretty different from other carpenters as they contribute to the production of shuttering and falsework. Both of these works require concrete. Concrete shuttering and falseworks act as moulds.
- Green Carpenter: From the name, you may get a feeling that this carpentry is closely connected with trees, and broadly, nature. If you truly love nature and hope to make this world a more beautiful living place, you can hire green carpenters. These carpenters use eco-friendly materials so that the homes can become more energy efficient and sustainable.
Once you are very clear about which carpentry you will choose, you should now look for the best institutes in Australia that offer carpentry training and courses. The most common type of these courses is Certificate III in carpentry, which numerous colleges in Australia are being provided. What you should do is to find the best possible college and get yourself admitted. The most significant advantage of this course is that you can become a regular carpenter after your study and become a builder, a leading hand, a building inspector, or a project manager.
Once you get admitted to your desired college, you should learn and develop all the required skills in the best possible way. Following are some of the skills that are usually taught in carpentry courses.
- You have to understand the type of materials used in carpentry and learn how to prepare a layout from them.
- You also have to understand the significance, use and safety regulations of various tools and motors used in carpentry.
- This is a subject where without practical training, you cannot get proper placements. You have to study, draw and plan the specifications for residential construction projects and other smaller carpentry projects.
- At the same time, you have to plan, execute and finish the projects in the promised time.
What are the benefits of carpentry courses?
Not just a bright future, there are other benefits too, of studying carpentry courses.
- Practical workplace: If you get admission to a reputed college, you will get the privilege to gain practical knowledge and hands-on experience. These will enhance your carpentry skills and also boost up your confidence to complete the tasks.
- Less time is taken to get qualified: Usually, vocational training and learning courses require a minimum of one or two years. But here, you can get equipped with relevant skills and practical qualifications with a period of only six months and begin to work as an apprentice.
- Job security: As long as a modern human civilization will last, the need for carpenters will also never fade. So, after your training completion, you are bound to get multiple job offers in your hands.
In the end
As a professional carpenter, you may work in both residential and also commercial construction projects. Salary will vary per your qualification and years of experience. If you are passionate about designing and constructing beautifully crafted items from wood, this job is the best suitable option. To study in Australia, you can search about the available options on the internet.
Perth is a beautiful city for study as well as work because of its environment. It will be a fantastic decision to choose Perth as your preferred destination for study.
Suppose you want to know more information and have queries about your study in Perth. In that case, you can contact any reputed firm like Education Consultant Perth, who can assist you by providing a professional consultant for proper guidance.
Read More: Online courses you can do at home