Last Updated on January 21, 2023 by Faiza Murtaza
When a person becomes old, then the person suffers from various diseases. One of the common issues that a person goes through is delirium. It’s a challenging situation as the person becomes dependent on others. Here, you may call the aging care experts or home care in California. The caregivers are experienced and have detailed information that helps the seniors to live a quality life.
Table of Contents
The symptoms of delirium are much like dementia. It involves disorientation and confusion. Mental health is highly affected in this condition. However, the one major difference is that a person suffering from dementia has poor cognitive functioning.
Generally, home health care in Los Angeles deals with two types of delirium conditions.
- Hypoactive delirium: The first one is hypoactive delirium which most seniors are affected by. This will look like a person dealing with depression. Furthermore, an older person will listen less and give you a slow response. Moreover, a person will avoid making social connections or previously enjoyed activities.
- Hyperactive Delirium: It is a condition where a person deals with anxiety attacks, less concentration on things, feels restless most of the time, has frequent changes in emotions and produces disorientation.
Both types of delirium can also occur at the same time. So, it will be difficult for a family member to take care of the elder member all the time as he or she needs help 24×7.
People who are highly impacted by delirium include:
- Individuals who have gone through a surgical procedure. The number can lie between 10 – 30% of patients
- People who are almost close to the end of life
- Patients who are under intensive care units
- Older people over age 75, who are under the surveillance of nursing facilities
- People suffering from acute e certain conditions: Parkinson’s disease, stroke, cancer, HIV, or liver disease
- Hearing- or seeing-impaired individuals
- Who came in contact with dialysis
- People who are having high dose medications or dealing with more than one chronic condition
It’s also essential to know the root cause of delirium.
- An overwhelming reaction to an infection
- People with a sleep disorder or insomnia
- The side effects of medicines
- Withdrawal from alcohol or drugs or overdose
- Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Kidney or liver concerns
Undoubtedly, home care agency Los Angeles is one of the recommended advice of doctors. The caregiver will ensure the patient receives quality care that impacts their lives positively. Nobody wants to be dependent on others. Hence, home care can make the person feel less dependent. The caregivers will behave like a companion that makes the person feel nice and comfortable.
In conclusion, delirium is a serious health concern, and apart from doctor medication, the patient needs genuine support to take care of his or her heath. Hence, the role of a home care agency has a lot to do with seniors suffering from delirium.