Last Updated on November 27, 2022 by Tabraiz
Is your Netgear WiFi router not giving you the desired result? If the answer to the question is yes, it is recommended that you update the firmware of your device. Updating the firmware of your router to the latest version will not just fix bugs and technical glitches but also enhance the overall performance of your device.
Thus, follow the step-by-step guidelines mentioned in this post and learn how to perform Netgear router firmware update in a matter of minutes. So, continue reading.
Steps to Manually Update Your Netgear Wireless Router
Here are the steps that will help you update the firmware of your device via routerlogin to the latest version:
- Plug your Netgear router into a working wall outlet and power it up.
- Let the LED light turn green.
- Next, connect your router and the existing modem using an Ethernet cable.
- You can also connect your devices using a wireless source.
- Switch on your computer.
- Open an internet browser. Make sure that it is updated.
- In the address bar of the internet browser, type routerlogin.net, and press Enter.
Note: You can also use the 192.168.1.1 default IP to log in to your Netgear router.
- You will be taken to the Netgear WiFi router login page.
- Enter the default username and password into their respective fields.
- Click Log In.
- On the Netgear router setup page, head over to the Settings option.
- Go to Maintenance and select Firmware Update.
Now, follow the on-screen prompts to complete performing Netgear router firmware update.
If you are not able to successfully update the firmware of your home router, then it is advised that you follow the troubleshooting tips mentioned below.
Fixed: Netgear Router Firmware Update Failed
Verify the Ethernet Connection
One of the major reasons why you are not able to update the firmware of your router is because it isn’t properly connected to the modem. Therefore, make sure that the Ethernet cable connecting your devices is not worn out or damaged from anywhere. In case it is, replace it with a new cable immediately.
Avoid WiFi Interference
If the signals of your router are getting interrupted by electronic devices, transmitting appliances, and reflexive surfaces, then also you can fail to perform Netgear firmware update. Thus, keep your router away from cordless phones, washing machines, baby monitors, Bluetooth speakers, mirrors, fish tanks, refrigerators, treadmills, televisions, microwave ovens, aluminum studs, etc.
Do Not Perform Background Activities
Many users make the mistake of performing background activities during the process of Netgear router firmware update. If you have also committed the same mistake, then it is advised that you do not power off your router or play games online while the firmware of your device is in the process of getting completed.
Reset Your Netgear Router
If nothing has helped you resolve the Netgear router firmware update failure issue, it’s high time you perform Netgear router factory reset.
Here are the steps that will help you reset your wireless device:
- Look for the Reset button located on your Netgear wireless router.
- Once found, carefully press it using a pointed object.
- Now, give your device some time to get restored to the default mode.
As soon as your device gets restored to the default factory settings, do remember to perform routerlogin.net setup from scratch.
For your Netgear router to function, it is important that you update its firmware from time to time. Following the instructions mentioned above will surely help you update the firmware of your router to the latest version.