About Flow Meter
It is considered to be a precision measurement to measure rate of liquid or gas flow within the pipe.
Characteristics for flow determination
- While measuring fluid rate over a specific known area, it is possible to determine gasflow.
- Positive displacement meters are designed to collect fluid in fixed volume. Then, it releases as well as refills liquid or gas. Tally the number of times capacity fills for determining flow accuracy.
- The other methods are based on forces of the flowing stream since it overpowers a specific known constriction, thereby calculating indirect flow.
Styles & types
There are available four types of natural gas meters in the market to measure gas flow in the pipe.
- Velocity: In this type, medium rate passing via meter is what determines the measurement. Volumetric flow is measured by turbine flow meters depending on fluid flowing through the free-spinning rotor. They come with high accuracy and turndown.
But its usage is limited to just cleaning only dry gasses due to its moving parts within gas applications. Differences noticed in pulses transit-time travelled to upstream sensor from downstream transducer is measured by ultrasonic flow meters. Vortex type of gas flow meter is designed with a shedder bar in its flow path.
- Mass Flow: This precision instrument helps measure rate of gas or liquid flow within the pipe. Four major meter styles are present to measure flow. It determines mass flow that passes via the meter. The two popular types are:
- Thermal: It measures mass flow depending on heat transferred from the heated element. Measurement is said to be in mass flow while temperature correction and additional pressure are not necessary.
- Coriolis flowmeter: It offers direct measurement depending on deflection force of the fluid moving via the vibrating tube. This Paperless Recorder is highly accurate as well as offers high turndown abilities.
- Positive Displacement: This type of meter is available at SilverInstruments.Com. It requires mechanical displacement of fluid components. It measures volumetric flow, but at operating pressure and temperature.
Such devices do come with sufficient temperature compensation, pressure and accuracy required to derive mass flow. However, their moving parts will require the user to consider gas cleanliness. This meter is known in short as PD meter or volumetric flow meter or PD flow meter. Diaphragm meter is one such classic example of this type.
- Differential pressure meters: In this digital flow meter, pressure drop is measured to calculate flow over an obstruction that is inserted into the flow path. The common flow element types are averaging Pitot tube, venture tubes, flow nozzles and orifice plates.
One such meter is the orifice plate that is used frequently to measure natural gas. Volumetric flow is measured and not mass flow. However, it comes with some limitations like pressure drop, limited turndown and diminished low flow sensitivity. This, in turn, impacts operating costs.
Getting to know the types and choosing the best Digital flow meters for Water is likely to help increase overall productivity.
Read more interesting articles at https://myurlpro.com