FSSAI (food safety and standard authority of India) is an individual body under India’s ministry of health and welfare. It forms to ensure the safety and reliability of consumers on the consumption of food and drinks sold in the market. Getting an FSSAI license or registration is made compulsory for all food-related business owners. FSSAI registrations in Delhi or some other cities ensure that public health hygiene is secured, and it verifies the quality of the food provided by every company.
Anyone who owns a food business company that includes manufacturing, storage, distribution, processing, import, and sales could apply for food registration. The exporter needs FSSAI import-export license for any food-related business activities.
Different types of FSSAI registration and licenses
Apart from the small business, the food business operators need to grab the FSSAI license for legally running the business. FSSAI license could be differentiated under two types:
- Basic registration
- State FSSAI license
- Central FSSAI license
Eligibility of getting food registration
The eligibility criteria for different types of registration are as follows:
Basic FSSAI license
Business owners with an annual turnover of about INR 12 lakh need to apply for basic food registration. In addition, businesses with small-scale operators working from a single area, city, religion, or town need to be registered under FSSAI. The terms for eligibility to the basic certificate are as follow:
- Business owners like distributors, suppliers, wholesalers, retailers, food vending establishments, hawkers, Dhaba owners, restaurants, hotels and canteen having a turnover of less than INR 12 lakh annually.
- Petty producers manufacturing by itself
- Retailers selling food items with the limited operations
- Cottage industries are linked with food products.
- Dairy units, involved in collection/procurement/chilling of milk, having a capacity of not greater than 500 lt daily, or up to 2.5 MT of milk solids annually
- Production or processing units of vegetable oil by the simple process of solvent refineries and extraction including oil expeller system, with a capacity to provide not greater than 100 Lt/kg daily
- A slaughtering quantity of not greater than two large animals and ten small animals or 50 poultry birds daily,
Benefits of basic FSSAI registration
- Public acceptance: have an FSSAI license could obtain the legal rights to sell the food item. You could sell the food with no compromise in quality, features, and prices.
- Expand the food business network: you have an opportunity to expand the food business network or menu by having the paper works done effectively in an authorized manner.
- Checked quality of food product: FSSAI license makes sure that provided food item quality is checked earlier. The checks involve every person who directly or indirectly contributes to the food item and therefore having faith in the customer.
- Legal welfare benefits: having an FSSAI license, one needs to have all the legal rights to sell the food item; one could sell the food with no compromises in the quality.