You can easily calculate the cost of shipping a car that weighs more than 5,000 pounds. However, the true cost of shipping a car is much more complex and varies widely depending on your specific circumstances. For example, if you’re shipping a car from one state to another, it will be less expensive than if the car is being shipped from one country to another.
The car shipping cost is determined by some factors, such as the weight and size of the vehicle, how far it must travel, and the mode of transportation. For short distances, you might spend about $600 – $900, but for long distances, you will likely have to fork over around $1,600.
Shipping a car will likely be more expensive than shipping a truck. As we cannot give you an exact estimate of the cost, we will explain to you what determines your shipping price. Once we know the weight, miles, and other factors involved, we can give you a more accurate estimation of what your cost will be. To start with, weight is the biggest determining factor in the price.
Table of Contents
Factors to Estimate the Cost to Transport a Car
Don’t get a car shipping quote without checking out these factors first! It will help you determine if a quote is fair or not. By understanding these key pieces, you can confidently move forward with shipping.
Certain makes and models of cars are more expensive to ship. If you have a truck or SUV, you must pay more for your car shipping. Luxury or classic cars will cost more because they require special attention. Trucks, SUVs, and vans are more expensive to ship than sedans and compact cars because of their weight and size.
Distance And Route
Distance is a factor in the cost of shipping a car – if you need to ship a car across the country, you will have to pay more. There are many factors that affect the cost of transport. Fuel, tolls, and labor costs will all add up quickly if the car needs to be shipped for hundreds or thousands of miles. If your pickup and destination points are not on major highways or heavily traveled routes, the price may be higher.
Condition of Car
When a car is immobilized, it will make transporting it more difficult. Without the capability to steer, brake, or roll, you may need special equipment to move it onto or off of the trailer. A car will cost more to transport when it is inoperable because of the need for special equipment to move it onto and off of the auto-hauling trailer.
The type of transportation service you get will impact shipping costs. Open auto transport is the most common way of transporting your vehicle. You can’t really hide your vehicle when it is on an open trailer, which means that there is more exposure to the elements. On the other hand, if you choose an enclosed trailer, you are protected from the elements.
If you have a vintage, antique, or exotic vehicle, you’ll want to go with an enclosed trailer. They are hard to find. For instance, only a small number of trailer carriers offer them. If you buy one, the cost will be higher. The average cost for an enclosed trailer is twice as expensive as an open trailer.
Fuel prices are an expense that varies from region to region. There are many factors that go into the cost of transporting a car across the country, but fuel is the biggest. This cost fluctuates, too, so it’s hard to predict how much it will be by the time you need to ship your car.
Time Of Year
The best time to go on vacation is during the summer and spring. That’s why there are more car transfers during these months. During summer and spring, prices for transporting cars go up. If you need your car transported from Massachusetts to Florida during the winter, you’ll be prepared to pay a higher price.
If you have an oversized vehicle, you may be required to pay more for transportation. Carriers typically charge more to transport larger vehicles because it takes up more space on the truck.
You love your car. You want to get it from point A to point B, but you’re unsure how much it will cost. Here are a few tips that might help:
● Get quotes from multiple companies
● Ship in the off-season
● Ship an operable car
● Use a discount
● Find an open service provider company
A Quick Overview
Shipping a car can be a costly process, especially if you are moving across the country or overseas. It is important to consider all the factors that affect the cost of shipping a car before deciding. Here are some tips to help you save money on car shipping.
- Understand the Factors That Affect Shipping Costs The cost of shipping a car is influenced by various factors, such as the distance between the pickup and delivery locations, the type of vehicle being shipped, the shipping method, and the time of year. The more you understand these factors, the better prepared you will be to negotiate a fair price.
- Choose the Right Shipping Method There are two main options for shipping a car: open and enclosed transport. Open transport is the more affordable option, but it exposes your car to the elements. Enclosed transport is more expensive but provides greater protection. Consider the value of your car and the level of protection you require before choosing a shipping method.
- Plan Ahead Planning ahead is essential if you want to save money on car shipping. Book your shipment in advance, as last-minute bookings can be more expensive. It would help if you also were flexible with your pickup and delivery dates, which can affect the price.
- Compare Quotes Don’t settle for the first shipping company you come across. Get quotes from multiple providers and compare the prices and services offered. This will help you make an informed decision and find the best deal.
- Prepare Your Car Preparing your car for shipping can also save you money. Ensure your car is clean and empty, as this can reduce the weight and, therefore, the shipping cost. You should also remove any personal items from the car to avoid damage and theft.