Last Updated on November 25, 2023 by Hina Rubab
Every summer, we get asked if gas BBQ bottles can burst because we all enjoy barbecuing and consider it a part of our lifestyle. Every year, however, far too many people are severely burned or injured.
Truth be told, most bbq gas bottles have been sitting unused over the winter months, and as soon as the weather warms up, we all fire them up without giving it a second thought as to whether they are safe to use.
Infact, the most common risk for leaking LPG gas to physically explode is when you are using it as gas bottles with their regulator and hose connections.
We recommend that you take a couple of minutes before using your BBQ this summer to do the following:
- Make sure all of your connections are secure.
- a soapy water test on the gas bottle, gas regulator and all things related to hose connections to ensure that the gas hose from the bottle to the barbeque has not perished
After you’ve double-checked that your connections are secure and that the rubber gas hose is free of any signs of wear, run a soapy water leak through all of your connections.
You can make soapy water in a bowl with soap and lather it on, or you can use a spray bottle filled with some gel soap and spray all of the connections.
If there is a leak, the soapy water will form bubbles that will indicate where the leak is. If a leak is discovered, the joint may need to be disconnected and the mating surfaces cleaned. Then reconnect everything and check for leaks once again. If the leaks continue, the fitting will most likely need to be replaced before the BBQ may be used.
A gas leak on a grill can quickly spread, which is why you should observe these fundamental rules while using it:
- Never use a gas grill inside or in a confined place,
- Ensure never to connect or disconnect a bbq gas bottle cylinder near a naked flame. Always turn off the valve before disconnecting the BBQ.
- In windy conditions, do not use a gas barbeque since the LPG can collect and cause an explosion if the flames are blown out.
LPG gas cylinders seldom burst because they all come with a pressure relief valve that automatically allows the bbq gas bottles to exhaust if there is a problem with heating up. As a result, rather than exploding, the leaking bbq gas bottle can ignite if an ignition source is present, resulting in a stunning column of flame rising upwards.
The cylinder will run out of gas quickly, putting out the flame, which is why you should always use a grill outside, away from the house, in a well-ventilated location away from ignition sources.
Always turn off the gas bottle valve if you smell gas. All gas installation work must be done by a licenced gasfitter, so contact Moyle Plumbing Services right once if you have any concerns. You can easily find them by looking up a local plumber near me online. They are also efficient in fitting, repairing and replacing gas water heaters.