When you want to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android, you may have noticed that the process is not as straightforward as it seems. In truth, trying to transfer WhatsApp messages from iPhone to Android is very different from migrating from one iPhone to another iPhone or one Android smartphone to another. Since WhatsApp on these two platforms (iOS and Android) is backed up to different locations, this causes a conflict when attempting a WhatsApp iPhone to Android.
Table of Contents
The Problem: Why is Transferring WhatsApp from iPhone to Android So Difficult?
WhatsApp essentially has two mobile versions: one for iOS devices and one for Android devices. Each version is designed to create backup files in their respective cloud storage locations. In other words, the iPhone version of WhatsApp saves backups to iCloud, while the Android version of WhatsApp stores its cloud backups on Google Drive.
The problem here is that these backup files can’t be moved easily from one cloud location to the other and vice versa. WhatsApp is well aware of this problem and recently announced that it will introduce a feature allowing users to transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android and Android to iPhone in the new Z Fold 3 and Z Flip 3. The feature is now available on several Samsung device models but it requires the Samsung Switch app to make it happen. Moreover, you need to change the WhatsApp number on the old device to that of the new one before you migrate.
The Solution: An Easier Way to Transfer WhatsApp Data from iPhone to Android
MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer has been developed specifically for the purpose of moving WhatsApp chats, media, and file attachments between phones running the same or different operating systems. That means you can seamlessly transfer WhatsApp messages in the following ways:
- iPhone to Android
- Android to iPhone
- iPhone to iPhone
- Android to Android
- iPhone/Android to PC/Mac
Full Feature List for MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer
- WhatsApp data transfers between iOS and Android
- Backup all WhatsApp data to your PC
- Restore WhatsApp from PC to devices
- Includes support for WhatsApp Business and other messaging services such as Kik, LINE, WeChat, and Viber
- Export WhatsApp conversations from your computer to a PDF or HTML document for archiving and other purposes
Why Use MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer
- One-click transfer method for WhatsApp and other messaging apps
- Backups are stored in case you want to restore an older backup
- Messages, photos, videos, and attachments can be transferred
- Choose what data to transfer and what to leave out when migrating to a new device
- Secure desktop method to transfer WhatsApp messages and data
- Zero data loss during transfers and backups
How to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android with MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer
MobileTrans is designed to be user-friendly and extremely intuitive. Aside from following the instructions on the screen and choosing what data to transfer, there’s very little input required from the user. That’s what makes this software so popular with smartphone users. Since not everyone is tech-savvy, it offers the perfect solution for WhatsApp transfers and backups for a wide range of user types.
Let’s look at how it works:
- After installing and launching the MobileTrans application on your PC or Mac, click through this path: Click WhatsApp Transfer → Select the WhatsApp tab on the left → (connect both phones) → Click Transfer WhatsApp messages
- On the next screen, make sure that your iPhone is seen on the left side of the screen and the Android phone on the right; the left is the source device and the other is the target
- In the middle section, leave the default selections as they are for the different types of WhatsApp data that will be transferred; if you want, you can remove types that you don’t need, such as videos or documents
- Finally, click the Start button and wait for the success message to appear on the MobileTrans – WhatsApp Transfer interface
All your data from your WhatsApp on iPhone will be available on the Android device, with zero data lost or corrupted in the process. This reliability is another major factor influencing the rapid adoption of this software among premium and non-premium smartphone users.
How to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android with the New Transfer Method
The newly introduced feature in WhatsApp is very handy if it works for you. The only problem, as we said, is that you’ll need to change the WhatsApp number on the old device (iPhone) to the one on the new one (Android) before you can do a successful transfer. There are also several other conditions laid out by WhatsApp. To use this method, you will need to fulfill the following criteria:
- Version 184.108.40.206 of the Samsung Switch app must be installed on your new device
- The new device should be running WhatsApp Android version 220.127.116.11 or higher
- The old device should be running WhatsApp iOS version 18.104.22.168
- You will need a Lightning to USB-C cable to connect the devices directly
- You must be willing to use the same number from the iPhone on your new Samsung device
- The target Android device must either be new from the factory or reset to factory settings manually.
There are also a couple of other limitations to this new method introduced by WhatsApp and announced by Samsung this year:
- Old chat histories from another device cannot be merged with a new account (different phone number)
- You cannot transfer data to a phone that has an active WhatsApp account on it or if you skipped the Restore process when setting up WhatsApp on the new phone
Once you’ve crossed these hurdles and you’ve decided to go ahead with it, it’s time to transfer your WhatsApp data from iPhone to Android:
- Change your old phone number on the old device to the number you want to use on the new device – check this helpful resource for how to do that
- Turn on your new Samsung phone and connect it to the iPhone using a USB-C to Lightning cable or a similar adapter
- Tap to launch Samsung Switch and and follow the on-screen instructions to migrate your data from the iPhone and set up the new device
- When you see a QR code on the Samsung phone, use the iPhone camera to scan it and then tap Start when you see the option
- On the Samsung phone, you can proceed with the set up process; from the Home screen, launch WhatsApp and log in with the same phone number that your iPhone had.
- When you see the prompt, tap the Import option; once your Samsung is fully set up, you should be able to see all your WhatsApp chats from the iPhone on your Samsung phone
Although the WhatsApp team has made a valiant effort to fill this huge gap between iOS and Android users, the feature is still in a very basic stage. That’s why it is recommended that you use a mature and comprehensive WhatsApp transfer tool such as MobileTrans. Not only is it infinitely simpler than the other method discussed here but it also gives you powerful tools to backup and restore WhatsApp data between a mobile and a desktop, iOS and Android, or between two devices running the same iOS.