Over the last few months, nations worldwide are going through shutdowns on and off as surges of the virus wax and wane. It is affecting the globe on a scale that is unprecedented in modern times One way to keep strong during these unpredictable times is to stick to a routine to give you a bit of normalcy amongst the chaos.
There are many benefits of having a routine from health benefits to productivity benefits. Some benefits include:
- Getting off on the right foot – having a positive morning routine can set you up for success and give you a more positive frame of mind for the day. For example someone who allots time to get ready and eat breakfast in a timely manner is more likely to be in a better mindset throughout the day than someone who quickly rushes out of of the house while grabbing a granola bar.
- Winding Down – While routines are essential when we wake up they are essential when we are winding down as well. Sleep is crucial in our overall health and in order to get restful sleep it is important to have a healthy sleep routine at night. Some examples of positive routine practices are brushing your teeth and washing your face, changing into comfortable sleepwear, and limiting electronics a certain amount of time before bed.
- Productivity – Routines keep us accountable, it allows us to be productive while maintaining better time management skills. Like the saying time flies when you are having fun, it is easy to let time pass you by but routines and schedules help you better manage your time and get your tasks completed in a more efficient manner.
- Investing – Since routines allow us to manage our time better and complete our tasks in a more efficient manner it gives you more time to invest in yourself. Whether it is spending more time with your friends and family, learning a new skill or doing more of what you love it allows more time to invest in things that make you happy rather than the things that make you busy.
- Mental Health – Routines help give a sense of control in a word that appears more chaotic every day. Having a positive routine can help alleviate stress and anxiety. While routines are beneficial it is also important to have alternative plans because we all know life happens and we need to have the coping strategies to be able to function if routines or plans change.
- Financial Health – Having a personal finance routine is beneficial in multiple ways – it allows you to better manage your money and bills such as your CT Energy bill which can give you more freedom to spend money on more things that bring your joy but it can also help reduce your financial anxiety.
All of these are ways that routines are beneficial and with these uncertain times of quarantine routines are more essential than ever. Many of us are hunkering down in our homes and either learning virtually or working remotely with little to no accountability. Here are some tips to stay successful with our routines during quarantine:
– Play Dress Up: Even if you are the only person who sees you applying makeup and getting dressed for the day can help put you in a positive frame of mind and get you started for your day.
– Meal Prep: It is easy to get lazy when you are staying at home which can cause a substantial amount of grazing on junk food or frequenting fast food joints. By meal prepping you save time, money and calories.
– Remember to stop and smell the roses: Since there is no clocking out when you are working from home it is important to remember when to pause and take a break.