Last Updated on June 5, 2021 by husnain
The best skincare routine remains a mystery to most of us. In recent years, a lot of beauty products have been added to care for our skin. Cleanser, toner, serum, day cream, night cream: endless products. They also each have their own effect and can support or counteract each other. How do you know exactly how to care for your skin, with which products, and why?
As a beautician with a salon completely focused on natural skin care, she can now call herself an expert in the field of beauty. To work in an environmentally and skin-friendly way, she works exclusively with vegan and sustainable products. Hear hear!
In her salon, Sarah often gets the same questions, and for us, she decided to answer them one by one. Ready for your best skincare routine ever? Read with me!
Table of Contents
Skin problems: how do you deal with them?
Sarah believes that many products are not useful for skin problems. Because she had long struggled with skin problems herself, she was often disappointed with the products she worked with. The most beautiful luxury products from the most expensive brands were to no avail.
After years of experience as a beautician at various salons (Skins, Babassu, Beauty planning, and more), she decided to look for alternative solutions. She started practicing yoga and came out of a natural skincare routine through her new, more conscious lifestyle.
Most skin problems arise from an imbalance in the hydration and acidity (also: ph value), which weakens the natural protective layer. Bacteria therefore have a faster chance of causing damage. Unfortunately you cannot change your skin type, but fortunately, you can. You can do a lot about this with the right care and products that suit your skin type. Environmental influences also make a major contribution, including nutrition, stress, relaxation, and a hormonal imbalance.
Your skin in top condition: this is how you do it
Improvement of the skin condition starts in 70% of the cases at home with a daily skincare routine. Not an unnecessary luxury, so! The most important thing is the basics: cleaning the skin in the morning and evening based on your skin type. Because your body secretes waste products at night, you want to wash this sweat film off your face in the morning. In the evening, remove the contaminated, urban air from your skin.
What is not the correct cleaning?
- Coconut oil: this eventually clogs the skin.
- Use only water. Water by itself has no cleansing power. It can disturb the pH value of the skin and the lime can dry out the skin.
- Use only a toner for cleaning. Although indispensable to restore the acidity of your skin, it is not a complete cleansing in itself.
- Using a toner with incorrect ingredients. This includes toners with ‘wrong’ alcohol and ingredients that make the skin contract. Toners that contain fragrances in combination with water, glycerin, or glycol are usually not skin-friendly. Think of rosewater or citrus water, essentially no more than cologne for your face. These can damage the skin and cause irritation.
What is the correct cleaning?
- The most important thing is the basics: cleaning the skin in the morning and evening based on your skin type. You do this with a foam cleanser, milk, lotion, gel, oil, or a two in one.
- After cleaning with water, the skin needs ingredients that restore the skin’s surface and acidity. A toner is therefore an asset to your care routine, regardless of your skin type. The restored balance helps a toner to prevent skin problems. Creams are also better absorbed by the skin.
- The right toner (formerly also called: lotion or tonic) restores, calms and makes soft and smooth. Suitable toners are water-based toners with beneficial ingredients and skin-repairing agents, such as glycerin, ceramides, and antioxidants.
You can learn to hydrate
A serum is a concentrated substance that you apply for your day or night cream. It is a companion for your cream, so it is important to apply it first. It is easily absorbed by the skin and is aimed at effective skin improvement.
Day / night care
Unfortunately, you cannot omit your cream after this. Your day cream provides a protective layer against free radicals and external influences. Without applying the cream after a serum, your skin is vulnerable to harmful influences. Therefore, apply a day/night care, tailored to your skin type. This is the basis of your skincare.
Extra care In
addition, you can also opt for a deep cleaning, such as an exfoliant. Do not use a scrub with granules, but opt for an exfoliant in the form of a lotion. You apply this after your cleaning. You can also boost your skin with a mask, massage, suitable beauty tools, and seasonal care products. Your skin has different needs every season. Very important: do not forget to clean your beauty tools, such as make-up brushes.
factor Apply an SPF during the day to protect your skin from the harmful effects of sunlight. This will reduce the risk of skin cancer and prevent skin aging and pigmentation. Opt for a light SPF in spray form or a SPF on a natural basis so as not to clog the skin.
Is your cream or SPF not absorbing well? This could be the cause:
- You do not use the correct cleaning and toner, so your cream cannot penetrate the skin properly.
- You use a too nourishing cream, which puts a greasy layer on your skin. These are often creams from luxury brands, which initially give a hydrated and well-cared-for feeling. However, they do not improve the skin over time. Your skin gets used to the oiliness of the cream. Result: without the cream, you are back to square one and you have to deal with rashes, inflammation, and redness.
- You use too strong products in your skincare routine, leaving your skin dehydrated. Result: the moisture stays on your skin.
Vitamin C, Retinol, and Hyaluronic Acid: Do They Really Work?
Ingredients that can provide effective skin improvement, according to Sarah, are vitamin C, retinol, and hyaluronic acid. Vitamin C helps to keep your skin condition optimal: it can prevent pigmentation, improve the skin texture, and complexion. Often it from you 30 e convenient to take a serum containing vitamin C in your skincare routine. It is important to maintain a concentration between 12 and 20% in order to prevent an imbalance.
Retinol can offer a solution for fine lines or acne. It is important to use products with retinol temporarily and only if really necessary. Your skin will become thin and dry, making it more sensitive. Hyaluronic acid can also contribute effectively to improving the moisture content of the skin.
Sarah works with emerginC products in her salon. These products consist of pure, active ingredients of natural origin and are ‘cosmeceuticals’. This means products with a pharmaceutical effect. These products do not contain ingredients such as perfume and alcohol, which irritate the skin. The emerginC products are scientifically formulated and aimed at skin improvement.
Tailored skin advice
Do you have sensitive skin or are you not sure what your skin needs? Then go to an expert and get advice, and then pick up the right skincare routine at home. An expert knows what your skin type needs and makes the search for the right treatment easier.
Sarah emphasizes that we often have a distorted image of ‘beautiful skin’ these days. We should be more realistic: we all have pores, and they can’t go away. Accept yourself and your skin, even if it is temporarily restless. A pimple a few times a month? That’s not a skin problem. Redness, irritation, and inflammation? Chances are that your skin will have an imbalance. Do not experiment yourself, but visit a beauty salon.