Last Updated on January 15, 2024 by Umer Malik
Table of Contents
We recommend that you consider all areas where the tiles do not fit. Also add 10% of the estimated amount for possible loss when cutting tiles.
Result of calculation
Required number of tiles: m 2
Number of tiles per package: m 2
Required number of packages:
Total costs: p.
Please note that all calculations are provided for information only.
For a more accurate calculation, we recommend that you contact professional builders.
Calculation of bathroom tiles without special programs: online calculator and instruction
Before buying materials, you need to calculate the tiles for the bathroom, to buy the material exactly as you need. There are 2 ways to calculate the number of tiles in the bathroom: using the online tile calculator or manually. The calculator provides a quick calculation, but it may contain inaccuracies due to its versatility. If you buy expensive luxury tiles or decor, it is better to manually check all calculations.
To calculate, you need to determine the following parameters:
Stock of at least 5%
Stock of at least 10%
Stock of at least 10%
Stock of at least 10%
How to calculate a tile in a bathroom or toilet with a calculator:
– Room dimensions – enter the length, width and height in meters.
– The size of the door – is subtracted from the total area.
– Dimensions of the bath – you must indicate whether the ends and the floor are covered under the bathroom.
Stages of calculation without a calculator
– Measure the length of each wall and the height of the ceiling. If the bathroom screen needs to be lined, consider the dimensions.
– Calculate the total area of the trim, except the door, window, bath (if it is already installed).
– Find out the dimensions of the tile that fits and calculate the area of 1 piece.
– Divide the total area of the covering by the area of one tile.
– Consider the decor and edges separately and subtract them from the main square. Remember, the decor cannot be cut, so it can only be placed point-wise or replaced with only whole tiles with no scraps. The limit is usually not used, because its meaning is almost zero and the repair costs are more expensive. The main goal is to avoid a narrow undercutting on the ceiling, but with the advent of tension and hinged structures, it has lost its meaning.
– For complex drawings, where multiple colors are used, it is better to calculate the amount of bathroom tiles according to the sketch. It can be drawn by hand or in special programs (for example, in 3D editor SketchUp).
– For the result, add 10% margin for entry and cropping, in case of a marriage. It is better to take a little more, the more almost any normal store does a multi-month money back without any problems with a check and unopened packaging.
The width of the joints can vary from 1 to 10 mm depending on the type, geometry and dimensions of the tile, but more often it is 2 mm.
The dimensions of the seams cannot be taken into account if you make the right layout. I will show this with a wall of 150 cm long and tiles of 40 cm long.
1. We measure the length of the wall (150 cm).
2. We consider how many cm can be covered with whole tiles without pruning (40 cm * 3 = 120 cm).
3. We take a whole tile (120-40 = 80 cm) and we take this size away from the length of the wall (150-80 = 70 cm). Divide in 2 parts, because there will be 2 identical cuts along the edges (70/2 = 35 cm).
4. Start styling from the center. We lay 2 whole tiles (80 cm) and around the edges 2 strips (35 cm). Total – exactly 150 cm, the pruning turned out to be uniform and over the length of more than half of the tile. In fact, they will be slightly less because of the seams, but this role does not play, although they will be as much as 1 cm.
5. Note that the hidden plumbing hatch should only have whole tiles, so this layout method is not always suitable for walls with concealed hatches.
If you are too lazy to do all the calculations yourself, you can contact the managers in the store where you are going to buy the material. They tell you how many tiles you need for the bathroom. It is only necessary to give all room measurements. So do lots of tilers to save time when you buy materials for the entire object at once.