Last Updated on December 3, 2022 by admin
Hanging Christmas lights can sometimes feel like a serious undertaking. Whether you’re decorating for the holiday season or simply using beautiful LED lights to illuminate your indoor and outdoor space in order to add flair and personality, there are certain things you need to consider. Continue reading in order to see the top tips for hanging Christmas lights both indoors and outdoors, as well as on a variety of different surfaces.
Table of Contents
How to Hang Christmas Lights Around Windows and Doors?
Two of the best and most popular areas on which to hang Christmas lights are on windows and doors. These areas naturally draw people’s attention, and they have a pre-set structure that is easy to follow when stringing your lights. However, there are several things to keep in mind when hanging Christmas lights around your windows and doors. Some of the most important steps to hanging lights on these surfaces are as follows:
- Start by measuring the area surrounding the door or window you want to hang your lights on. Make sure to get an accurate measurement so that you know your lighting requirement upfront. Ensure that you have enough strands of lights connected to each other in order to completely surround the frame of your door or window.
- Take note of the outlets which are nearby. Consider whether or not you’re going to need to use an extension cord in order to reach the outlet. You can also simply use connected strings of lights in order to make your display long enough to reach your outlets on their own.
- Next, make sure to clean the area on which you’re going to hang your lights by using a gentle cleanser. Not only will this make your lights more able to adhere to the surface, but it will also make your display much prettier. Be sure to allow the surface time to dry fully before beginning to attach your lights.
- Attach adhesive light clips to your string of lights, approximately every 12 inches, so that you will be able to adhere them securely to the surface surrounding your door or window. Make sure to do this prior to beginning to hang your Christmas lights so that you have everything prepared beforehand and don’t have to stop mid-way through your project to apply more clips. Be sure that you are using light clips with an adhesive backing so that you can easily attach them to any surface without causing damage.
- Begin hanging your lights from one of the bottom corners of your window or door. Move your way up and around the frame, making sure to keep your string of lights tight around the entire surface.
- Finally, press the adhesive side of your light clips to the frame surrounding your window or door as you move along applying your lights. Continue this process until you have the frame completely surrounded.
How to Hang Christmas Lights Inside?
While hanging Christmas lights around windows and doors are some of the most popular options, there are many other ways to decorate the inside of your home with beautiful lighting. Some of the most important things to keep in mind when decorating the interior of your house are listed below.
- First, it’s important that you try to take advantage of adhesive light clips. Light clips with an adhesive backing make things much easier when it comes to hanging Christmas lights inside. It’s recommended to include a clip every 12 inches on your string of lights in order to maintain the stability of your display.
- Next, take advantage of fixtures that you already have in place. If you have certain fixtures which are already hung on your walls using hooks or other mounting accessories, you can hang your Christmas lights directly off of those and thus avoid using any additional fixtures or clips.
Additionally, you can hang your lights off of things like wall shelves, bookshelves, or even your mounted television in order to create an organic display which requires very little effort. You can even use things such as curtain rods to create a beautiful and unique look which illuminates your room.
- Finally, an excellent tip for hanging indoor Christmas lights is to focus on your room. A lot of the time, when hanging Christmas lights indoors, people overlook the fact that their room can be a beautiful canvas for Christmas lights, even all year round.
Try using adhesive light clips to hang lights around your mirror. This will give you a nice even light and will help you to avoid common problems such as your overhead lighting appearing in the mirror behind you. Also, consider stringing your Christmas lights directly on your ceiling or perhaps where the ceiling and wall meet. You can use a variety of different kinds of lights as well as a variety of colors. Try using small icicle lights for a ceiling effect and perhaps C9 or C7 bulbs for other areas, such as surrounding your mirror or shelving.
How to Hang Christmas Lights on Your House?
Finally, while decorating the inside of your home can be a wonderful way to bring out your holiday spirit and also simply add beauty all year round, the most popular way of utilizing Christmas lights is to hang them on the exterior of your home. In order to properly illuminate the exterior of your house, follow these steps:
- First and foremost, it’s important that you have a vision for your outdoor display before you begin your project. Check out different resources online to gain ideas, and then be sure to write down your plan so that you have everything laid out before you begin.
- Additionally, it’s important to think about the material of the surfaces on which you want to place your lights. This will help you to understand if you simply need light clips to keep your lights adhered or if you will need to utilize certain built-in aspects of the surface from which to hang your lights. Additionally, be sure to measure the surfaces on which you’re going to hang your lights before attempting anything else in order to ensure that you have the right length to your string of lights.
- Additionally, just like when you’re hanging lights indoors, it’s imperative that you make sure that your surfaces are clean. Take a minute to wipe down the areas where you want to hang your lights with a damp rag or a light cleaning solution. This will ensure that your lights can be easily adhered to the surface and also that they’ll look their best.
- Additionally, consider the placement of your lights carefully. Remember that there are some classic areas of your home on which Christmas lights look best. Try framing doors and windows, as well as potentially your gutters or even the peak of your roof to create a truly dynamic effect.
- Finally, consider hanging your lights around your yard rather than just your home itself. There are many places where Christmas lights can be displayed that are beautiful and make natural sense because the lights can be hung with ease. Some of these spots include;
- Shrubs and trees
- Near your driveway
- On a window box
When it comes to hanging Christmas lights, the sky’s the limit. Christmas lights are no longer exclusive to the holiday season. They can be used to illuminate your space to provide extra lighting, save you on your energy costs, or simply increase the beauty of your space all year round. Start looking at reputable Christmas light vendors today in order to see all of the different options that they offer and begin to personalize your space and add beauty and functionality to your home.