For cyber security personnel, it is crucial to gain the initiative when responding to cyber threats, rather than reacting passively to threats. With the passage of time, technology has improved. In the changing threat landscape, it is no longer enough to simply fill security holes or design a security posture for previous threats. Here are five major predictions for cybersecurity in 2021 to help companies ensure that they are protected from threats.
1. Ransomware causes more users to suffer from food difficulties
- Ransomware has become more and more complex.
- You can even avoid more advanced email security solutions.
- Has more devastating consequences.
Now, ransomware attacks can penetrate even the most complex email security solutions by increasing complexity and automation, especially when creating Trojan horse variants. More importantly, current security solutions may not be detected until a few hours after the ransomware attack is released, which usually gives the ransomware enough time to break.
In the eyes of people, these attacks are periodic and occur about every other week. Cyber attackers have developed a new sample library that contains new obfuscation and evasion techniques, and then they create permutations of these samples and distribute them. When cyber attackers establish a new foundation for sample development, security vendors must keep up with its development.
2. The risks associated with phishing attacks will be the most concerns of security executives
- People often hear. Security professionals from all sides are looking for solutions to address the growing risk of phishing attacks.
- A year ago, people generally believed that malware was a major threat facing enterprises. As 2020 approaches, phishing attacks have become a major concern.
Today, most organizations that want to enhance email security are motivated by the need to stop phishing attacks. Phishing attacks are becoming more and more complex, and even the most professional professionals cannot detect all of them. The phishing toolkit provided by the dark web and the list of compromised credentials for targeted attacks mean that the number and complexity of phishing attacks will also increase.
In addition, the consequences of phishing attacks have become more serious. Data breaches, financial fraud, and other consequences of phishing attacks can have dire consequences for organizations of all sizes. From a certain perspective, according to the Verizon 2019 DBIR survey report, phishing is the primary cause of data breaches.
People do need technologies that can detect and stop such attacks, especially those sent via email.
3. The urgency of immediately discovering threats will increase
- Once a threat is discovered, it needs to be dealt with and dealt with immediately.
- Data-driven security solutions can take hours to detect unprecedented threats.
- This is the most dangerous stage of the attack.
- The organization’s tolerance for this delay time will become lower and lower.
The time range for a cyber attack to cause a relatively large destructive impact on its victims is from the moment of the malicious load until the security solution is detected. Because even the most complex security solutions often take several hours (or sometimes longer) to detect new attacks that have never been seen before, the risk in the first few hours is enormous.
Organizations and security professionals have begun to realize this and are expected to see it as a key challenge in 2020.
4. Enterprise collaboration platform will become a more popular attack vector
- Cyber attackers will increasingly use platforms such as cloud computing drivers and instant messaging programs.
- These enterprise collaboration platforms are usually immediately trusted by users-cyber attackers will take advantage of this fact.
The use of collaborative services has exploded. Users are increasingly using tools such as Microsoft’s OneDrive and Google Drive to collaborate. Although this is very important to increase productivity, it poses a unique challenge for safety professionals.
These services are constantly under attack due to increasing frequency, complexity and avoidance. As new attack vectors appear on new channels, this also means that the possible risks and potential damage are increasing.
5. Vulnerability and attack simulation vendors will extend their solutions to various channels and attack vectors
- According to Gartner’s survey, most threats still come from email channels..
- Breakthrough and attack simulation (BAS) tools test network defense capabilities by simulating network attacks, but email breakthrough and attack simulation (BAS) has not yet become mainstream.
It is hoped that breakthrough and attack simulation (BAS) vendors will extend their solutions to the entire elimination chain to provide their customers with a more comprehensive solution. Since e-mail is a popular attack vector, it is likely that they will also begin to cover e-mail as part of their breakthrough and attack simulation (BAS) solutions.
Cybersecurity Forecast 2021: Future Challenges
Productivity tools, including e-mail, increase speed, efficiency, and collaboration capabilities, which also means increased risks and vulnerabilities for security teams. Whether it’s ransomware, phishing, or otherwise using popular collaboration platforms, security vendors are committed to protecting users and organizations.
While offering products to defend against these threats, cyber attackers are constantly innovating to avoid security technologies.
Obviously, you cannot rely on your work in 2019 to ensure the safety of your organization in 2021. The role of cybersecurity professionals has never been more important. People will usher in an exciting year: new threats, new challenges, and a world that requires the help of security vendors to ensure network security