There is no doubt that apps like uber have changed the way people hail a cab. They have also impacted how people use to hire a driver and get their insurance coverage. But if you are using a rideshare service such as Uber, then you need rideshare insurance. In this article, we are going to
discuss car insurance for uber drivers.
What is Ridesharing?
The concept of rideshare is very new. People from 10 years ago does not know about such a service. But nowadays, it is as popular as traditional taxi services. Using the uber app, you get the driver who has good ratings by uber and other users. Furthermore, the app allows you to track your ride with the help of the GPS feature. You can follow where is your pickup point. It also provides the convenience to pay from the app. Now everybody knows about this app around the world. No one will believe that is app was launched back in 2009. There are also other competitors such as Lyft which was founded in 2012.
Both of these companies are private, so there is not a correct figure about how much drivers are working with them. There is a rough estimate that the Uber app has almost 327,000 drivers in the U.S. The company consistently doubled its workforce in every couple of years. On the other
hand, Lyft just operates in the USA.
There are a variety of services offered by the Uber such as Uber X, Uber XL, Uber Hop, Uber Select, Uber Eats, and Uber Pool. No matter, which services you use for driving, it is essential for you to have car insurance coverage for Uber.
Where Can You Get Insurance?
As you know that the app allows the drivers to use their vehicle for rides. It can help you understand how commercial insurance for Uber works. If you are a driver for Uber in Alberta or Ontario, then you can automatically cover via an industrial car insurance policy. This coverage is provided by the Uber, which means you do not need to pay for the premium. This insurance coverage is offered to the drivers that log into the app until a rider exit their vehicle. You can also visit InsuredASAP.com to find out whether you need commercial for Uber or not.
What Happens When You Have to Use Your Uber Insurance?
Well, it is a fact that accidents can happen in life. We know, most of us drive carefully to avoid any mishap. But still, there is a chance that we will be in an accident. As an Uber driver, we encourage our vehicle for hours, and there is a higher chance of unforeseen consequences. Even if you are driving professionally, there is a high chance to end up in an accident. I hope that it will not happen to you, but if it happens, you should know what to do and how to follow up with the appropriate parties.
What Intact Insurance for Uber Covers?
If you are an Uber driver in Canada, then you will be covered with commercial intact insurance
policy. This insurance policy is available for all Uber drivers in Canada Since July 7, 2016. It
- Coverage of $1 Million between trips- it means that the drivers will receive $1 million in coverage for accidents. If the accident is caused by a third-party and it is available through the app even if you have not accepted any trip.
- Third-party Liability Coverage worth $2 Million Per Accident – The $2 Million worth of coverage for drivers is available when they are between the acceptance of a ride to the destination.
- Accident Benefits – The driver of Uber app will receive all the benefits as stated in the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule.
- Property Damage Coverage – The drivers will also receive coverage for the damage to the vehicle if the other party is at fault.
- Another available coverage is collision and comprehensive coverage. It will cover the loss of vehicle up to its actual cash value. However, the drivers need to pay $1,000 deductible. Anyhow, this coverage is available, if the driver has a personal car insurance policy with collision and comprehensive coverage.
Aviva Insurance for Uber Drivers
Aviva Insurance provides a rideshare insurance add-on to the personal auto insurance policy. This coverage from the Aviva is available for the Uber drivers in Canada.
When Are You Not Logged In?
As we mentioned earlier that the intact insurance is available for those drivers who are logged into the system. But if a driver is not logged into the system, then this policy does not cover him or her. If you are an Uber driver and involved in an accident when you are signed out, then you
need to rely on your personal car insurance policy. You also need to keep in mind that the coverage provided by the intact commercial insurance for Uber is not enough for all the drivers in Canada.