The Government e-Marketplace (GeM) is an online platform or an ecommerce website created by the Government of India to help procurement of products and services. It is a one-stop-shop for government buyers to procure goods and services, ranging from stationery to vehicles to consulting services. The GeM portal was launched in 2016 to bring transparency, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness to the government procurement process.
For procurement of products and/or services on the portal, proper announcements are made in the form of GeM tenders. Prospective bidders then apply to a GeM portal tender of their preference, i.e. in their area of business and once all the bids are received, they are sifted and analysed. A bid with the best proposal and most competitive costing is awarded the bid.
Let’s see what are the documents that you will need as a seller/bidder to register on the GeM Portal.
Table of Contents
Documents Required to Register as a Seller on GeM Portal
The following documents are generally required for GeM registration for sellers in India:
- Application Form for GeM Registration
- PAN Card (documents like CIN, PAN, DIPP, UAM, ITR may also be required depending on the type of organisation)
- Bank account details of the organisation
- GST Registration Certificate
- Aadhaar Card
- Cancelled cheque or Bank certificate
- Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) or Aadhaar eKYC
- Company Registration Certificate (for companies)
- Memorandum of Association (MoA) and Articles of Association (AoA) (for companies)
- Trademark Registration Certificate (if applicable)
- ISO Certification (if applicable)
However, the exact list of documents required may vary depending on the category and type of seller registration.
For the latest updates on GeM registration process, documents required and the latest active GeM tenders, you can head towards BidAssist, an online tender aggregator which specialises in GeM services like bidder registration assistance, bidding consultancy, catalogue listing, preparing bidding proposal and more.
Details Required to be filled in the Application form:
- Name of Business Firm
- Address of Business Firm
- Nature of Business
- List of Products & Services proposing to sell on GeM
- Owner’s Name
- Owner’s Aadhaar or PAN
- Type of Firm (Sole proprietor, partnership firm, private limited company, public limited company, one person company, limited liability partnership or any other)
- Email ID
- Mobile Number
- Bank Account Details
- Account Holder Name
- Account Number
- IFSC Code
- Date of Birth (as per PAN)
After this step, you’ll be required to click on ‘Proceed & Pay’ where you’ll be redirected to the payment page to complete your registration process.
Documents Required to Register as a Buyer on GeM Portal
The prerequisites for registering as a buyer on GeM are:
- Aadhaar Card of the primary buyer/user
- Mobile number (linked to Aadhaar)
- Email ID (hosted by NIC)
- Verifying authority details (e.g. name, mobile number & NIC registered email ID)
Please note that applicants with a valid NIC registered email ID will be able to register on the GeM portal freely.
Once a primary user profile is created, it is imperative that a secondary user profile is created for procurement. The role of a primary user is to be the consignee.
How to Apply for a Buyer ID on GeM?
To apply for a GeM buyer ID in India, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the official GeM website at www.gem.gov.in
- Click on the “Register” button on the top right corner of the homepage
- Select the “Buyer” option and click on “Continue”
- Fill in the registration form with your personal and organisation details
- Upload the required documents, such as your PAN card, Aadhaar card, and Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) or Aadhaar eKYC
- Submit the registration form and wait for verification of your details by the GeM authorities
Once your registration is approved, you will receive a GeM buyer ID and can start using the platform to buy goods and services.
Importance of GeM Portal
Simplified procurement process: The GeM portal provides a simplified procurement process for government organisations, reducing the time and effort required to procure goods and services.
- Transparency: The GeM portal brings transparency to the procurement process, ensuring that all registered sellers have equal opportunities to participate in the bidding process.
- Cost-effectiveness: The GeM portal enables government organisations to procure goods and services at competitive prices, reducing the cost of procurement.
- Wide range of products and services: The GeM portal offers a wide range of products and services, making it a one-stop-shop for government buyers.
- Empowering small and medium enterprises (SMEs): The GeM portal provides opportunities in the form of GeM portal tender for SMEs and start-ups to sell their products and services to the government.
- Reducing corruption: The GeM portal reduces the scope for corruption in government procurement by bringing transparency and accountability to the process.
Overall, the GeM portal is a game-changer in government procurement in India. It streamlines the procurement process, reduces costs, and brings transparency and accountability to the process, benefiting both government organisations and registered sellers and service providers.
However, in the quest of winning a bid, sometimes it can get really overwhelming and time-consuming as the competition is tight and even a little mistake like inadequate documents or late bid submission can make you lose on a wonderful opportunity. That’s when services of online tender service providers like BidAssist must be sought. Here, you can search any GeM portal tender, be it for medical supplies, office supplier or services. That said, there are other services that you can take advantage of by signing up on the portal.