What’s a home without beautiful furniture? A lot of homeowners love spending time looking for fancy wooden cabinets, a perfectly designed sofa set, a comfortable bed, and sleek modular cabinets, and if you stay in a small space then chances are that you even look for storage areas that are properly designed. But do you know what type of wood to use for your furniture and what its properties are? Blockboards are commonly used to build furniture and suit your budget the best.
Blockboard is used by architects, builders, and homeowners when it comes to constructing furniture and can be used as a good substitute for plywood. Blockboards are made up of wooden blocks or battons or strips between two layers of veneer which are sandwiched together under high pressure and heat. Due to the process of manufacturing, this type of wood has excellent dimensional stability and high resistance to humidity, warping, high temperatures, and bending. It is extensively used to make bookshelves, doors, benches, shelves, wall paneling, tables, and partition walls.
Technical properties of blockboards:
- Due to its density being less than plywood, blockboards are quite easy to transport and handle and allows you to save a lot on labor cost as they can be easily moved and installed.
- Blockboards are tough and durable and they are fairly strong, this makes it ideal for them to be used as furniture, and wall paneling as they last longer and can weather any type of conditions.
- Unlike most other types of wood, when exposed to high heat, or fluctuating temperatures, blockboards due to their good dimensional properties have moderate resistance to warping and cracking when exposed to the same.
- Blockboards are less prone to bending or sagging and hence,are widely preferred for furniture that is larger than 6 to 7 feet in length. It has become quite common for residential as well as commercial areas and is used by a number of architects, interior designers, and contractors.
- Blockboards are great at holdings screws and can be made into any type of custom furniture. A good screw holding capacity allows your furniture to remain strong and durable for years to come. Since this wood does not split while cutting, it can be cut using regular tools and saves you the hassle and effort of using advanced tools which is why a lot of carpenters prefer to work with it.
- Blockboards are poor conductors of electricity, sound, and heat and can also offer thermal insulation properties which makes them ideal for use in switchboards, other areas of electricity and in your kitchens as well. It is able to block some amount of outside sound allowing you to have a nice quiet time at home.
- If you want to try different finishes like laminates, wood veneers, and more, your blockboards can be painted and polished accordingly to give you any look you desire.
Century Ply blockboard is available in a wide range of sizes, thicknesses and dimensions and has become quite popular in households as well as commercial and residential areas. This is owing to its durability, longevity, and resistance to heat and moisture which allows it to be used in almost every area of the house.
Read More: Ultimate Guide to Buy Graphics Card in 2020