Last Updated on March 16, 2023 by Aftab Mughal
If you are overweight, you are not alone. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 75% of individuals in America are overweight. Fortunately, Seema Chaudhary MD offers safe treatment to lose weight.
Being overweight or obese raises your chance of contracting several serious illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, liver disease, infertility, mental health issues, and cancer. The good news is that decreasing weight can boost your health and lower your chance of getting several diseases.
Here are the benefits of losing excess weight;
1. Improve the levels of your cholesterol
Higher levels of LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and lower levels of HDL (“good”) cholesterol are associated with being overweight or obese. You can lower your cholesterol levels by shedding even a modest amount of weight, such as 5–10 pounds or 1–3% of your body weight. And as a result, you may experience fewer health issues, including heart disease and gallbladder illness.
2. Reduce blood pressure
The good news is that losing even a little weight can help decrease blood pressure. This “silent killer” contributes to or directly causes more than 500,000 deaths annually in the United States. According to studies, your blood pressure might be lowered by one point for every pound lost if you have high blood pressure.
3. Improves sleep
A problem known as sleep apnea, which is characterized by interrupted breathing while sleeping, is more common among overweight persons. Increased fat deposits in the neck caused by being overweight might block your airways.
Losing weight won’t likely wholly cure sleep apnea in most people. However, in people who are moderately obese, decreasing merely 10% to 15% of their body weight might enhance sleep quality and lessen the severity of sleep apnea.
4. Reduces risks of cancer
The American Cancer Society estimates that 5% of cancers in males and 11% of cancers in women are caused by increased body weight. If you are obese, you have a higher chance of getting cancer like breast cancer, kidney cancer, pancreatic cancer, ovarian cancer, liver cancer, and stomach cancer.
Although the precise connection between being overweight and cancer is still unclear, experts think inflammation brought on by visceral fat, the fat surrounding vital organs, is to blame. You may have a decreased chance of getting certain malignancies if you lose weight.
5. Enhance your mood
According to studies, mental health conditions like depression and anxiety are directly linked to being overweight. Mental health is complicated, and shedding pounds will not definitely “heal” you of depression or other conditions. Studies suggest decreasing weight might improve your attitude, self-confidence, and mood.
Some individuals may need to shed more weight to reap these advantages. However, decreasing even 5% of your body weight can positively impact your health, as evidenced by better heart health and a lower chance of developing diabetes. However, discussing the best approach and goals for you with your doctor is crucial before beginning any weight reduction program.
Call Nova Physician Wellness Center to book your appointment for medical weight loss.
A Quick Overview
Losing weight is one of the most popular goals people set for themselves to improve their overall health and well-being. While many people may focus on the cosmetic benefits of weight loss, such as looking better in clothes or feeling more confident, a variety of health benefits come with shedding excess pounds. Here are five unique health benefits of losing weight:
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases: Excess weight has been linked to a higher risk of developing chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers. Losing weight can help reduce your risk of these conditions and improve overall health.
- Improved joint health: Excess weight can strain joints, causing pain and discomfort. Losing weight can help reduce this strain and improve joint health, making it easier to move and exercise.
- Better sleep: Losing weight can improve sleep quality and reduce the risk of sleep apnea, which causes interruptions in breathing during sleep.
- Lowered inflammation: Excess weight can cause inflammation in the body, linked to various health conditions. Losing weight can help reduce inflammation and improve overall health.
- Improved mental health: Losing weight can improve self-esteem and confidence, positively impacting mental health. Additionally, regular exercise can help reduce stress and improve mood.
Apart from that, if you want to know about Visit a Wellness Center, visit our Health category.